Monday, November 14, 2011

A Sacrifice of Thanksgiving

As Thanksgiving approaches my heart does tend to be a little more mindful of all the things that I have to be thankful for. It really shouldn't take one specific day a year for me to have a more grateful attitude, but sometimes that is the case. Sigh.

In my high school girls small group yesterday we talked about making a sacrifice of thanksgiving. We asked our girls to think about all the pains, problems, disappointments, adversities, difficult people, impossible situations, etc., that we had not thanked God for.

Now, I don't know about you, but thankfulness is not always my first reaction when I'm dealing with pain or disappointment. Or when there is a difficult person in my life that just grates my ever-loving nerves. BUT, God's word tell us "Give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus." (1 Thes. 5:18)

 
(via)

So our challenge was think of everything you can thank God for in each hard circumstance. To thank Him for every difficult person you've murmured against and to ask God to reveal to us one way that they've blessed our lives. And, then to ask God how we can be a blessing to them.

And, as the Lord would have it, my Bible Study this morning touched on the same thing.

"Offer to God a sacrifice of thanksgiving and pay your vows to the Most High; call upon Me in the day of trouble; I shall rescue you, and you will honor Me." (Psalm 50:14-15)

I thank God for our infertility. I thank Him for this season of our life that has been marked by pain, disappointment, hurt, tears, anger, and frustration because He is teaching me more about Him through it all.

I haven't written much about this lately because I feel like I'm still "in the middle" of it all. Still hurting, still struggling, still waiting. I haven't seen victory yet. I'm not on the other side. But, I know God is working...even in the middle. I will choose to praise Him even though I do not know how He will allow this circumstance to work itself out. I don't know how He will choose to answer our cry, but I do know that He will answer.

"Through Jesus, let us continually offer to God a sacrifice of praise - the fruit of lips that confess His name...with such sacrifices God is pleased." (Hebrews 13:15-16)

What is your sacrifice of thanksgiving?

11 comments:

  1. Sending you a big hug this morning, Faith! What a sweet reminder and wise insight...He delights in those sacrifices of praise and I'm guessing He's delighting in your heart today. I found myself in a similar place while we waited in that season of infertility too. It took the pain, the disappointment and the hurt to get me to that place, but I'm so thankful He helped me get there. It's so fitting that your name is Faith...Keep pressing in to Him in this wait and know that there are many of us interceding on your behalf! You encourage me to lift up those sacrifices of praise today! Believing God with you for His answer to your cry...I appreciate you Faith and it makes my heart so happy to know the Lord has called you and Chad to walk with students through this season in your lives. You are impacting them more than you know!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love you. I'm thanking Him for your friendship today...you continue to teach me as you walk this road of infertility. No doubt He will bless you and Chad w/the desires of your heart. You know I believe that. ((HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  3. faith...
    i have read this post about five times today and each time it just brings me to tears. i have started to comment each time, but just can't seem to find the right words. this post is so full of truth and wisdom. thank you for sharing it - i know it had to be difficult. but, please know that it met me right where i am today. there are some things in my life that I'm believing HIM to change, but forgetting to thank HIM for changing me in the midst of all of it. thank you for the reminder. praying for you as you wait on Him and believing with you that He's not finished, yet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such wisdom...Thank you for letting God speak through your words. I needed this today in a way that only He would know. Today you were a true servant of Him.
    I'll be praying.

    (Hi, I've been following for a while and this is my first time commenting. I enjoy reading about your journey. :0) )

    ReplyDelete
  5. ugh! So hard! Great thought-provoking post. Love you, friend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. True thanksgiving to Christ can be seen in the good times as well as the bad! Your faith is beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Faith! I don't think I've ever commented on your blog before, but I wanted to say thank you for this post. I have a different struggle than you do, but all the same it has caused me to lean into Him for understanding through this sucky time. We have to thank Him in the good AND the bad.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is my first comment for you Faith, and I must say this blog is beautiful. I am so glad that I listened to Heather and came to visit!

    This reminds me of a few wonderful songs. The first being "Praise you in this Storm" by Casting Crowns. The second being "Walk by Faith" by Jeremy Camp and lastly "Trust in Jesus" by Third Day.

    I like you tend to be more thankful in this month than any other time of year. It's not that I am more thankful, I'm just more aware that I should be. I do not thank the Lord enough for all the things he does for me, and I am trying to get better at it. I am so blessed to be a child of the King. I love sharing my experiences and hearing the experiences of others.

    It's hard to find the Thanksgiving in dark times, but the more we do that the more we defeat Satan!

    I am thankful to him for everything he gives, and now I am thankful that I have been lead here so maybe I can share in faith with you! He really is good, and it's not just in the good times!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this post...and I love you, friend. ((Hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've been reading your blog for awhile though we don't know each other...but I pray for you and just know that one day I'm going to click on your blog and it's going to have the happy smiling face of yours knowing you'll be a mom!

    Thanks for the printable, I printed off the cranberry one for my living room bookshelf, love it!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments! I love to hear from you!