"Then I heard the voice of the Lord , saying, "Whom shall I send, and who will go for Us?" Then I said, "Here am I. Send me!" He said, "Go, and tell this people..." Isaiah 6:8-9a
Almost five years ago I was sitting in a missions conference listening to those verses being preached. I knew of people that had gone on mission trips, but really didn't think that kind of thing was for me. Little did I know the calling that God would place on my heart in the next couple of months and all of the ways He would work to confirm it.
God did in fact call Chad and I to Havana, Cuba on a short term mission trip in September of 2004. It was an amazing week in my life and one that changed me forever. It's hard to describe the things that you experience while on a mission trip, but you see God's hand work in unbelievable ways. To be a part of sharing the gospel with someone, and seeing God work in their heart to draw them to Him in salvation is just incredible!
After that trip in September, Chad and I could not wait to return to Cuba. I had left a piece of my heart there. We longed to see the people we had established relationships with and help reach even more of the lost for Christ. God allowed us to go back to Havana in April of 2005. On that trip, we experienced more and more resistance (government issues) and it became clear to us that it was likely our last trip to Cuba. And, indeed it was.
We continued to pray about where God would have us go next, now that it seemed the door had been closed to Cuba. Brazil came up and God confirmed that over and over again. I must admit, I did not want to go to Brazil and pretty much resisted it for a while. But, I could not ignore all the ways that God had worked and shown Himself clear that it was the Brazil trip that we were supposed to go on.
So off to Brazil we went in March of 2006. Brazil was different in the language they spoke (Portuguese is sooo hard!), different in their culture, and even different in their religion, but our goal was the same - preach the gospel of Jesus and pray for souls to be saved. God worked in the hearts of many on that trip and we were able to see so many come to Christ! There really is nothing else like it!!
Three years have passed since the last mission trip we have been on. So much has gone on in in our lives during that time. We were trying to have a baby at that time and figured that it would be our last trip before having kids. I had no idea then that we would spend the next three years trying, waiting, praying for God to work. I had no idea that my life would be consumed with charting, temping, waiting, crying, praying, doctors appointments, more crying, more waiting, etc. And, that's what this desire has done at times...consumed me.
Mission trips would come and go and I would not really even entertain going. I would think "what if I'm pregnant by then?" or "we'll surely have a baby by then" or "we don't have the money to spend on a mission trip, we need to save that money for having a baby", etc. It was always some excuse, some selfish reason, that kept me from being willing to go.
When I look back, I know that I was disobedient to God's calling. I don't know exactly where He would have called me to, but I'm ashamed that I wasn't even willing to find out.
But not anymore! I'm tired of being consumed with myself and my desires. I'm ready to be obedient to go where He's leading me. I'm ready to trust Him with the timing and the details. I'm ready to GO!!
In June of this year, Chad has the opportunity to be a part of a visionary trip to the Amazon. He is PUMPED about this trip and I am excited for him to go. Then, in September of this year, we both have the opportunity to go on a trip to the Outback of Brazil. I still have some of my same hesitations about Brazil (the language, the long flight, the strenuous travel, etc.) but I'm surrendering all those thing to the Lord and trusting Him with it all.
One thing that is always a struggle for me to surrender is my worry over the money. When I think about trying to pay for three trips to Brazil this year, my head just hurts! I have stressed over this with every trip we have been on, and guess what...God has provided EVERY SINGLE TIME. Why do I doubt???
I know that these are TOUGH economic times for everyone. Trust me, with Chad's job in the building industry, we are feeling it big time. But, we are choosing to move forward in faith and believe that where God is guiding, He will provide.
I share all of this with you to ask if you will join us in praying for these mission trips. That God would go before us and prepare the hearts of those we will come into contact with. That many would come to know the love, forgiveness and salvation that can be found in Jesus alone. These are very important days we are living in, and I believe that God's tarrying is only because there are still people that need to hear about Him. We need to tell them! We need to go!! (Matt. 28:19-20)
Would you also pray that God would abundantly provide for every financial need that arises for this trip? I've seen Him do it before and I'm praying that He will do it again, even in this difficult economic climate. If you feel led to contribute to our trips, I've added a "donate" button to my sidebar where you can donate through pay*pal. I'm doing that because the Lord laid it on my heart, but please know that your prayers are the most important to us. I thank you in advance for interceding on our behalf!
I am so excited to see all the ways that God is going to work in our lives through this, but I'm more excited to see how He is going to move in the hearts of those we will see. Sisters, my heart's desire and my prayer to God for them is for their salvation. (Rom. 10:1)
Here am I, Lord. Send me!!!
Saturday, March 28, 2009
Here am I
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



I am so unbelievable PROUD of ya'll!!! I loved reading this and I just know the Lord has GREAT things planned for you and Chad right now, on this upcoming trip, and in the future!
ReplyDeleteOh how I wish we could meet up for coffee and discuss all these exciting things. I love you, sweet friend!
Awesome!! Praying that not only will this be a successful trip for you, but also for all the lives that you will witness too, encourage, and help along the way :)
ReplyDeleteI absolutely will pray that God will provide all your needs while you are away and while you are here.
ReplyDeleteI am so excited for you!
Faith - you are an amazing woman of God and I am so blessed to have 'met' you!
Hugs, L
WOW!!! I'm so happy that you aren't going to let another mission trip go by... Believe me, I know & understand, not having children of my own.... you put things on hold thinking "BUT"... But you know what - if you are obedient to God & even if you ARE Pregnant - God will make it work... that happened with a couple who had been trying in our church - they signed up - raised the funds & she found out she was 6 weeks pregnant a few days before they left for the Dominican!!!
ReplyDeleteAnd I always love to see how funds are ALWAYS provided for mission trips. Show's God hands all over it! Do His work - He will provide!!!
Soooooo excited for you & Chad! God has such plans for you!!!
I love your heart and passion for missions! I'm with you...there's nothing like being on a mission trip to give you a little perspective and the opportunity to see God's mighty hand at work. I'll be in prayer for the things that are concerning you. (:
ReplyDelete"Do not be afraid or discouraged for the LORD will personally go before you. He will neither fail you nor abandon you." Deuteronomy 31:8 (NLT)
He will go before you in ALL things, Faith...finances, preparing hearts, etc.
Oh, I'm a little envious! Right now God has me in a different season but I hope one day to have the opportunity to go on another mission trip!
Faith, this brought tears to my eyes. You are such a beautiful person both spiritually and physically. May the Lord pave the way financially so you can go forth and spread the Word.
ReplyDeleteHow exciting honey! I know you have been thinking about this for a long time!! God IS good and He WILL provide! I just know it. :) Praying for you guys!!
ReplyDeleteLove you both!
You made me tear up! I'm excited for you to go and to see how God's going to work it all out. Nothing is impossible, girlfriend!!
ReplyDeleteFaith that is so awesome! Hubby and have talked many times about this too and we definitely want to support you guys! I completely understand how it is to develop a love for a people and to lean on God while there! I also understand waiting to do something because I might be pregnant by then...but you are being so faithful, I'm praying that God gives you guys all the desires of your heart! We can't wait to hear more and are excited for you guys!
ReplyDeleteGod will provide for every little detail!! I often worried with the cost of adoption but God provided for every little detail along the way. When God has a plan and its His will everything works out and falls into place. He is Good and can be Trusted.
ReplyDeleteSo excited for you and praying that because you are following God and choosing to serve Him - that as your heart focuses on that....God will surprise you with a child! I think He will!!!
ReplyDeleteYou are an amazing person Faith!
Oh Faith, how exciting!!! I can not wait to see what God has in store for you and Chad...amazing things!!!! I will be in prayer, I promise!!! I pray for you all the time, and I will just add this right in with my other requests for blessings in your life, sweet friend!
ReplyDeleteOh, this is just so cool, Faith! Just like you, I have seen God provide over and abundantly for these things and I KNOW He will do it for you. May He reward you so richly for your obedience! What a neat thing! I will be praying!
ReplyDeleteawesome post. i will definitely be praying for you guys...i love when we remember with urgency that we have a job to do...we have a world to reach...and do not get a dress rehearsal in this life!! so excited to hear you are going hard after what God is nudging you to do! and still praying faithfully and with expectation that the Lord will bless you Soon with a precious child of your own!!
ReplyDeleteI am inspired!! I will be praying for you all as you go on this special trip. We have friends leaving next month to go LIVE in Mexico and serve full-time. And last week when our Sunday School class prayed for them, it was really neat to hear someone IN our class share how important these trips are because this guy and his wife were led to Lord through American missonaries. It was quite moving.
ReplyDeleteYou are so sweet, Faith! I will be praying for you as you go on these three trips. You are right...God will provide! I love your heart. I know God will honor your obedience!
ReplyDeleteWhat a big step, to surrender you own will and go with God's calling. I know He will provide for you in every way.
ReplyDeleteOh wow Faith, that is awesome. How exciting. You will for sure be in my prayers!
ReplyDeleteWhat a wonderful testimony!! So exciting to see God working through you and Chad - and really looking forward to hearing the reports when you get back from your trips. No doubt, He has great things in store - and will reward your faithfulness.
ReplyDeleteI PROMISE to pray. Keep us updated. Jennifer
Faith,
ReplyDeleteHow exciting!! My heart just melts for the mission field. It is one of my favorite times in our chuch when we have our mission conference. I will be praying for you and Chad. He will provide dear one.
Love you friend,
Dawn
This post really moved me. I'll be praying for you & Chad in the coming months. I can't wait to see how the Lord will provide for you this year!
ReplyDeleteI used to do missionary work every summer as a teenager. We'd repair homes of people in need. It was amazing, so I can't even imagine how rewarding it must be to do that in another country! You and Chad will be in my prayers!!
ReplyDeleteThis is amazing! I'm so humbled to hear people going and serving Jesus in exciting ways. I will be praying for you!
ReplyDeleteI'm just getting a chance to read this. I can't tell you how excited I am for you! Alex and I have such a heart for missions. We look forward to the day when we can go as a family to the mission field. The way you speak of Cuba is how he feels about the people in Guatemala. :) I didn't have the opportunity to go when he did, but I know that we'll return together in the future.
ReplyDeleteI'm going to be covering you and Chad and this mission trip in prayer. I'll also commit to pray about what I can do to help you guys financially.
So excited about what God is going to do!!
Love you!
You have such a wonderful, giving heart :)! I know that God will provide for you in every possible way. We will be praying for you friend :).
ReplyDeleteFaith,
ReplyDeleteI am so proud of you and Chad and I am excited to see how God is going to provide for all of your needs for these trips. Your faithfulness and your obedience are such an encouragement to me.
I pray that God will not only provide your financial needs for these trips, but that He will move in the hearts of the people in the Outback of Brazil and prepare their hearts for your visit.
God will reward your faithfulness!
P.S. I'm still praying about what we talked about on Sunday, too!
I just came across your blog. How wonderful that you are following God's instruction, AND I'm excited to hear that you're going to Brazil! I just posted today about how I sponsor a little boy in Brazil through Compassion International.
ReplyDeleteI feel for you regarding your wait for a baby. I have two children but miscarried a third last September. I feel God said, "No" for some reason. I'm still trying to figure out why.
Blessings to you!
Oh Faith, that is Awesome!!! i will be praying for you and Chad!
ReplyDeleteHappy Birthday to your MOM! I just discovered her recipe blog! WOW, that looks like a lot of fun! I will be visiting that again to make some of those yummy dishes! Also, my friend Sarah saw me carrying my market tote into work today and she just LOVED IT! I think she is going to order a black damask tote! YAY! Have a great day! :)
ReplyDeleteWow, what an exciting adventure this will be for you and Chad! I too will be praying for all of your needs to be met, and for all those you will be meeting in the summer. What great things He is leading you toward!
ReplyDelete